Me

My photo
www.natashapage.com for me, art and photography.

Thursday 14 January 2010

A Few more films.

Dean Spanley:

Really enjoyed! Although a good portion of the film was the three of us watchers (friends) debating whether or not Jeremy Northam’s nose was real or prosthetic (I personally don’t care – I’m just in love with the man’s voice – he could read me a bed time story any day). It looked lovely and the old chap playing his dad was hilarious! I dunno his name, sorry – I’m hopeless with names.

 

Nine

Oh my GOD!! who wasn’t in this film??? seriously – Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Sofia Loren, Penelope Cruz all on one screen… It’s like the cast list reads like the phonebook of Hollywood Royalty. Great numbers – amazing choreography – reminded me quite a lot of Cabaret because of the style and the dance was obviously heavily influenced by Fosse, who choreographed Cabaret. Wasn’t too keen on a couple of the melodies af the songs – Judi Dench I think had more than enough in her to have more of a challenging song that she could have rocked, and also I personally felt Nicole Kidman’s song was a little low and monotonous for her when we all know what she can do thanks to Moulin Rouge, but that’s just me being picky – I really did think the film was excellent.

Star Trek

Watched this because everyone has been banging on about it for AGES so I was like 'FINE’… it was pretty good – I mean it looked flashy and cool and I like that they focussed more on the characters as individual people rather than on the technobabble aspect which the shows seem to like so much, so I felt that made it more appealing to the general public of those who wouldn’t necessarily go to watch a ‘trekkie film’ – like all the other trek films before – this had a TOTALLY different feel to it – the other films to me were like extended episodes of the series where they’d been given a fat budget to play with, but this was a proper MOVIE movie. They also did a great job of getting a cast of younguns together who looked the parts too, the only one I wasn’t really convinced by was Chekhov – he looked a bit like a nervous little toy poodle than the other guy in the original series, but I liked him because he was sweet and forgot to take the handbrake off,  so I didn’t mind. But yeah. All in all, a good film, although my brain kind of switched off when the massive SFX bomb was dropped towards the end -  full on action and massive explosions and stuff  kinda bores me so my mind wanders off onto it's own little adventures.

Angels And Demons

YAAAAAWN.

I really loved the Da Vinci code movie (I feel I should point out that I haven’t read any of the books) and this latest one… it started off ok – I mean, all these films LOOK very good – I mean – no expense spared on the budget with cameras and set hire etc, but… to be honest, I really couldn’t tell you what the hell this film was about. Something about people being branded, statues pointing at places and some fella being drowned… obviously totally to do with religion, but after going' ‘oooh’ over the introduction, I just totally zoned out. Really couldn’t give a rats what was going on.

District 9

I couldn’t watch this film. It was AMAZING, the bits I could sit through, but I’m a complete humanitarian/softie so I couldn’t handle it – that kind of treatment of individuals and that level of cruelty and disassociation and total lack of sympathy and compassion between two beings just does not compute with my brain. I really want to know what happens, but it just disturbed me too much  so I had to leave, because I was watching it on my own and go so completely immersed. This film is EXCELLENTLY done – it’s done like a documentary, and.. yeah ok so there are aliens walking around, but the way it’s been done and put together is so incredibly well done and so convincingly portrayed that.. well.. for me, anyway, I had immense difficulty thinking ‘this is JUST a movie, Tash, it’s not real’… beause this film isn’t’ JUST a film about aliens vs humans, it’s a very intense social commentary on just how absolutely VILE we are as a race. We’re really disgusting creatures – and I know in the film it’s south africans vs aliens, but it could just SO easily be about.. for example, black v white during the colonial times with slaves on plantations and how they were treated, it could be about Jews v Nazis in the 2nd WW and how we treat anything we regard as being below ourselves and that we take a disliking to en masse. Watching this film really made me almost feel ashamed to be human in a way because we KNOW that these things do happen and we are the cause of it. If you’re not a complete bag of mush like me, go and see this, it is AMAZING. I just wish I was made of tougher stuff so I could have made it though the whole film.

No comments: